SCIL making it mobile

SCIL Conference Adelaide

SCIL Conference Adelaide

The smartest person in the room is the room.

I attended the SCIL (Sydney centre fir Innovation in Learning) Adelaide conference entitled Making it Mobile and this is one quote that stayed with me so I looked it up and it’s from a book by David Weinberger entitled Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now that the Facts Aren’t the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere  and the Smartest Person in the Room is the Room.

Another quote that struck a cord with me was made by the SCIL principal Stephen Harris in his presentation entitled Factories No MoreThe key role design & furniture has in enabling teachers to change pedagogy.

Both Harris and Lee Crockett (see blog) show images of classrooms and factories form Victorian times to now and how the teacher, as the person who holds all the knowledge, has not changed, yet the very nature of knowledge has changed.

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read or write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.” Alvin Toffler

The SCIL conference provided more supporting evidence for Lee Crockett’s and 21 Century Fluencies, to adopt Project Based Learning, challenges and authentic learning through publication and global citizenship.

At SCIL personalised learning, face-to-face (f2f) + blended + online schools as well as flipping were discussed and I was enthralled by the possibility of giving my LMS courses a ‘game’ structure by image mapping, hotspots, gateways and badges.  The two-day conference offered group workshops as well as individual help to plan units or develop online courses.

After the conference closed I took away with me a vision of 21 Century pedagogies and what school or rather learning spaces could look like in the future.

Here are some links from the conference I’d like to share:

What is Project Based Learning?

Website guides to pbl