About Ann

Welcome to The Possibility Post. My name is Ann Rooney and I teach English as an Additional Language, English and Digital Design Technology to Middle and Senior School students at Wilderness School in Adelaide, South Australia.

The Possibility Post started after attending a workshop by George Couros. I named my blog The Possibility Post because I believe innovation leads to unexpected possibilities. By sharing my reflections and lessons on my blog I am developing local and global connections and hope to further realise the benefits of global education and collaboration.

At Wilderness, I have had the opportunity to be part of a team of teachers initiating the 21 Century Fluencies Project working with Lee Crockett and the Global Digital Citizen Foundation.

Ann Rooney

Ann Rooney

In 2014, I completed the  Flat Connections Educator Course and have participated in Flat Connection Projects in 2014 and 2015 and as a Judge in 2016.

In 2016 I attended Project Zero in Sydney and participated in the global project, Out of Eden Learn, an initiative of Project Zero at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

This year I have added student blogs on my site and this has led to student global conversations and collaborations with schools in Norway and Dana Hall students in Boston.

I am passionate about my students’ wellbeing and teach digital literacy to build the skills necessary for respectful and empathetic global digital citizenship, collaboration and leadership.

Since 2016 I have acted as Head of Business Enterprise & Innovation Department. My faculty includes Multi Media, Business Enterprise, Accounting, ICT, Information Publishing and Processing.

The Possibility Posts and Twitter have become a vital part of my professional learning giving me the opportunity to reflect, to share and to be inspired by other educators.

Thank you for visiting and please leave a comment on my blog or Tweet me, @annrooney6

You may also like to contact me at Wilderness School email:

arooney@wilderness.com.au

14 Comments
  1. Hi Lili,
    I haven’t read Ron’s new book so I won’t be able to comment. Thanks for the invitation. I’ll check out the online book club and Ron’s book. Just went to Google summit if you want to see my recent blogs. Cheers Ann

2. Dear Christine, thank you for your kind comments. I hope that I can inspire people about the wonderful possibilities in education today.

3. Hi Monica, my class is starting our second Flat Connection Global Project this week. It is a wonderful opportunity to build student and teacher communication using new technologies, meet and collaborate with our global students and schools.

4. Hi Ann- collaborating on a global network must really transform the learning experience for your students! I look forward to hearing about it.

I am wondering how collaborating with people from very different contexts plays out? Are the students curious about the context, do they need help in interpreting culturally nuanced comments? When the students have questions about context, what do they do to find out answers?

5. Hi Monica, the global experience truly transforms the classroom environment as it brings authentic communication to the forefront and creates an environment that opens up questions about culture and context.
    Learning becomes contextual, global and relevant to student’s lives. The context is learning about the world and connecting using online tools. Because technology is the bridge to learning students develop digital citizenship in context in a safe supportive environment.
    Last year my Year 11 ESL class participated in the Flat Connections Global Projects (FCGP). I found students to be naturally curious about others and through their teams they discovered similarities “They are just like me.” Teachers and students are supported by the FCGP team to assist using digital technologies such as the Ning, wikis and Google docs to co-create videos and eBooks. Being part of FCGP produced a stimulating and challenging learning environment that gave my class the opportunity to travel virtually and meet new perspectives. Students activate independent learning skills using a range of digital collaborative tools. They begin to develop a learning network and curate their information using tools such as Diigo and Google Drive. I found that students thrive on learning challenges and asking questions. I now aim to have at least one global collaboration as part of my yearly curriculum.

6. Hi Fred, thanks for your thoughts. Having a blog creates opportunities for me to reflect, collect artefacts and to share on teaching and learning. There are so many ways to use a blog. I have just started posting lessons. Recently, I introduced my students to blogging to embed digital citizenship and to build global connections.

7. Hi,I came across your blog via Twitter and some Literacy links. I noticed it seemed a bit George Couros -ish in design theory, and sure enough….confirmed when I Read your about page. I’m just about to introduce student digital literacy portfolios (the Couros Model) to our high school of about 450 students, starting with a small pilot group in a few days.
    I’d love any advice you might have to share based on your blogging with students. Are you using the “digital portfolio” idea for your students as well?
    Cheers,
    Cammie Kannekens
    Alberta, Canada

8. Hi Cammie,
    thank you for your comment. I have just started my students on Edublogs mainly to document their learning. When I introduced them to blogging I described it as an academic portfolio and a platform to connect globally. This resonated with my senior secondary students who are keen to create an academic online presence. Students have reacted differently with some embracing their blogs and in the process they have demonstrated not just responsible digital citizenship but also leadership. Your students will find it useful to read my students’blogs. I recommend viewing- Lowell All student blogs are on my home page. Also have a look at Ann Michaelsen’s students blogs.
    All the best and please email me if you want to.
    Cheers Ann